Thursday, November 8, 2012

F@*% You Day Light Savings


Back in the day, I loved day light savings time.  Seriously, what could be better than getting an extra hour of sleep?  Even if you worked the next day, you could still go out the night before.  And closing down the bar meant an extra hour of drinking time.  Who cared what time you went to sleep?

Now, not so much…

The least of those reasons is because this year it made me look stupid.  I woke Tammi up an extra hour early, because I couldn't tell time.  (My bad baby)  Second, I’m not smart enough to explain day light savings time to an adult, let alone a three year old.  Sure, I could Google it, but I’m not going to remember the answer next year.  F- you day light savings

More importantly, day light savings time F-s with the kid’s schedule.  No one told my boys that they get an extra hour of sleep.  Kids love consistency.  No, even stronger than that — they crave it.  So before day light savings switched up, they were getting up at 6:30 a.m. and going to bed at 7 p.m.  So, when the entire country slept in an extra hour, those of us with kids actually LOST an hour of sleep.  Both boys woke up at 5:30 a.m. (previously known as 6:30 a.m.) just like clockwork.  F- you day light savings

Just that small little change, messed up their entire day.  They usually eat at 11:30 a.m., and at 11 a.m. I thought, “I should start getting lunch ready.” 

Only their bodies told them it was already noon. 

When little kids get hungry, they don’t walk up and say, “Hey, why are we eating so late? I’m kind of hungry.  Will you get me some food?” 

No, instead, they pick some small thing to lose their minds over and scream until you are able to restore the ever-important sugar balance.  So, when I stood up at 11 to start making lunch, they both started to lose their minds.  F- you day light savings.

Furthermore, they had been going to bed between 6:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. every night.  Only 6:30 was now actually 5:30 p.m.  So neither boy wanted to eat dinner when I tried to feed them at 5 o’clock, and they certainly didn’t want to go to sleep at 7 p.m.  Now, instead of watching football at 7:30 when the Sunday night game came on, I was watching Dora the explorer.  F- you day light savings…

As a side note, the phrase “back in the day” used to refer to my high school years. Now, it means the time before I had kids.  God, before I know it, it will mean back when I was in my thirties.  

No comments:

Post a Comment