Sunday, August 5, 2012

A New Age

About four months ago our babysitter came to my wife and I, and asked for a raise.  At the time, we both were very happy with her, and thought that we could afford $50 extra dollars a week.  We told ourselves that she was a single mom, and we wanted to make sure she was taken care of.  Little did we know that, this request would lead us down a road, which would lead us here.

I have worked as a full time employee since I was 15.  I started working odd jobs at the age of 13 or 14, and I am now 32.  Lets just say working is something I have become accustomed to. When I was 19 my girlfriend, at the time, got me a job working at a hotel. It was a fun job, with good stories, and interesting guest and co-workers. Being the uneducated bum that I was, I worked hard, tried to keep my nose clean, and began to take on more and more responsibility.  I have worked for the Hyatt, Marriott, Omni, Sheraton, Hilton, and currently the Embassy Hotels. 

So shortly after the babysitter asked for a raise, we began to have some very small challenges.  The dogs were being left outside all day, toys weren't being picked up, and she started arriving late.  I did the math on how much we were paying her, and the numbers were not good.  My monthly income minus taxes, healthcare, and the babysitter equaled $200.  My mind began to process the idea of staying home. For $200 a month I was not seeing my wife, getting health insurance, and working for a hotel, where I was not really being challenged.  The math just wouldn't add up in my head. I talked to my wife, and she loved the idea. SO....
Last month I let my General Manger know that I would be resigning my position as front desk manager, and was interested in working for the hotel on a part time basis.  To my surprise he was very encouraging and things began to move forward.  I now work part time for $10 an hour.  I only work when my wife T is not.  She works at a animal emergency hospital in the DFW area.  I stay home with my two sons, G 3 and J 1.  My goal is to work about 20-25 hours a week, and cover the individual health insurance we have had to purchase.

I am not sure were this blog will take us.  I hope to talk about my experiences with being a stay at home dad, house husband, Mr. Mom...etc. I'm sure the story will wonder a bit...I'll include some hotel stories, a bit about how I got here, and what some of my associates have called craigism.  Since I am new here, any advice or feedback is welcome.  Writing post at the hotel, should work out nicely, as there are long periods of nothing to do.

While I was typing, I was interrupted to check in a guest.  The family was nice, and I cut some money off their rate, gave them a nice room, and made sure they felt taken care of.  The guest asked if I had a tip jar.  I pointed to the palm of my hand, and let him know that I never left home without it.  He placed a twenty in my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment